[Bro] Bro with 10Gb NIC's or higher

Kelly Kerby kelly at utexas.edu
Mon Jan 12 09:43:58 PST 2015

Hello,

We at UT Austin are fairly new to Bro and new  to the list (been following, but never posted), but I thought I'd share my experience.

We have had good luck monitoring our traffic which sustains ~17-20 Gbps during peak hours with 2 devices made by a
company called Netronome. The traffic is distributed between the 2 clustered devices using an integrated load balancer which
evenly spreads the traffic across all the processors which have been pinned to corresponding bro workers.

We see very little traffic loss - random ~2-3% drops per Bro instance with the occasional larger ~10% drop.

Our configuration:

- 2 clustered devices 40 cores each with 32 workers and 4 proxies
- Primary device with 2 10 gig cards

Hope this is helpful.

-Kelly
UT Austin