[Bro] Revisiting log rotate only

James Lay jlay at slave-tothe-box.net
Tue Jan 20 14:13:05 PST 2015

On 2015-01-20 01:04 PM, Daniel Thayer wrote:
> On 01/19/2015 07:57 AM, James Lay wrote:
>> On Sat, 2015-01-17 at 07:37 -0700, James Lay wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I posted about this last August here:
>>>

>>> http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/bro/2014-August/007329.html
>>>
>>> I also noticed someone have a disappearing log event which I have
>>> seen
>>> before  as well here:
>>>

>>> http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/bro/2015-January/007935.html
>>>
>>> I documented my process on installing bro on Ubuntu 14.04 using
>>> just
>>> log rotation below:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get -y install cmake
>>> sudo apt-get -y install python-dev
>>> sudo apt-get -y install swig
>>> cp /usr/local/bro/share/bro/site
>>> cp /opt/bin/startbro <- command line bro with long --filter line
>>> cp /opt/bin/startbro to /etc/rc.local
>>> sudo ln -s /usr/local/bro/bin/bro /usr/local/bin/
>>> sudo ln -s /usr/local/bro/bin/bro-cut /usr/local/bin/
>>> sudo ln -s /usr/local/bro/bin/broctl /usr/local/bin/
>>> sudo ln -s /usr/local/bro/share/broctl/scripts/archive-log
>>> /usr/local/bin/
>>> sudo ln -s /usr/local/bro/share/broctl/scripts/broctl-config.sh
>>> /usr/local/bin/
>>> sudo ln -s /usr/local/bro/share/broctl/scripts/create-link-for-log
>>> /usr/local/bin/
>>> sudo ln -s /usr/local/bro/share/broctl/scripts/make-archive-name
>>> /usr/local/bin/
>>> git clone https://github.com/jonschipp/mal-dnssearch.git
>>> sudo make install
>>>
>>> specifics on log rotate only:
>>>
>>> add the below to local.bro
>>> redef Log::default_rotation_interval = 86400 secs;
>>> redef Log::default_rotation_postprocessor_cmd = "archive-log";
>>> edit the below in broctl.cfg
>>> MailTo = jlay at slave-tothe-box.net <mailto:jlay at slave-tothe-box.net>
>>> LogRotationInterval = 86400
>>> sudo /usr/local/bro/bin/broctl install
>>>
>>> Besides the edits to broctl.cfg, file locations are the default.
>>> The
>>> above works well usually...it's after a reboot I have found things
>>> go
>>> bad.  Usually logs get rotated at midnight and I get an email with
>>> statistics, just what I need.  I rebooted the machine on the 13,
>>> and
>>> that's the last email or log rotation I got....this morning I see
>>> current has files and my logstash instance has data so I believe
>>> the
>>> rotation got..."stuck".  I'm kicking myself for not heading/tailing
>>> the files first, but after issuing a "sudo killall bro", those file
>>> in
>>> current vanished, no directory was created, and I received no
>>> email,
>>> that data is now gone (no big deal as this is at home).  I decided
>>> run broctl install again, then start and kill bro one more time.
>>> At
>>> that point, I got a new directory with log rotation and an email
> [...]

Thanks for looking Daniel.  I am starting this with the below:

/usr/local/bro/bin/bro --no-checksums -i eth0 -i ppp0 --filter '( large
filter line here)' local "Site::local_nets += { 192.168.1.0/24 }"

I'm not using broctl.  The only small portion that I am is for the log
rotation as outlined in the email thread.  After killing and starting
bro yesterday, this morning at midnight logs got rotated and I got my
report email.  This appears to happen after a complete reboot of the
device.  It's very odd.  Thanks again.

James