[Bro] broctl install failed: host key verification failed

Thomas linux at linux4n6.ws
Sun Jul 5 00:09:31 PDT 2015

Hi,

I tried to install Bro on a fresh installed Debian 8 amd64 system, using the current sources from github. All prerequisites from the manual are installed and compiling did run without any problem. Next step is broctl => install. This command fails with the following error messages:

Host key verification failed.
Error: cannot create (some of the) directories /usr/local/bro,/usr/local/bro/logs,/usr/local/bro/spool,/usr/local/bro/spool/tmp on node bro

Same error does appear by using „deploy“.

I changed node.cfg, network.cfg and broctl.cfg as mentioned into the Quickstart Guide. Interface does exist and there is enough free space. Permission seems to be correct, but this error happens as root, too.

I could reproduce the same error on a second fresh test installation into a virtual machine.

How can I fix this problem? Thanks!

Thomas