[Bro] How can I counter attacks to GMAIL accounts coming from known threats?

Javier Richard Quinto Ancieta richardqa at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 20:53:34 PDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I am working with Bro and CIF Server through the Intel framework.

All is ok when I test with Infrastructure/scan for SSH protocol. But I have
problems when I want to filter attacks of scanning against Gmail users.

I assumed that a filter for SMTP is:

11.1.1.21      Intel::Email   CIF - need-to-know      smtp
http://www.openbl.org/lists/base_all_smtp-only.txt      (public)        -
    medium  85

* 11.1.1.21 (known threat)

I copy this filter in a file (e.g., smtp.intel) and I put at ./local.bro

I reinstalled bro:

broctl stop
broctl check
broctl install
broctl start

Bro is running with the new filter shown above.

Finally, I tried to access to a GMAIL account from the IP 11.1.1.21
(malicious IP) and I didnt receive some response (alert) from Bro IDS.
Thus, I wonder How Can I filter malicious users that launches attacks to
Gmail account?. How Do I have to work to counter this attack?

Thank you,
Javier

--
Javier