[Bro] HTTP Range/Content-Range PUT and POST Requests

anthony kasza anthony.kasza at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 22:06:26 PDT 2015

Has anyone on list ever seen HTTP client uploads via PUT or POST requests
use Range or Content-Range headers? I'm wondering if any major web servers
support random access bytes based writes of resources similar to how many
support random access byte based reads of resources, see here <
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/716680/difference-between-content-range-and-range-headers>.

I have a PoC for random access writes here <
https://github.com/anthonykasza/frankendropper/blob/master/frankenexfiller.py>
but don't know how practical it is.

I'd like to see how Bro's file framework handles these random access write
requests. It handles random access reads nicely. I've tested it on a server
(example.com) that does not support this request and returns 4xx responses.
The files framework doesn't seem to extract the uploaded file, but that my
be due to the response status code. Thanks all,

-AK