[Bro] Disable some type of "alerts" for internal servers

C.L. Martinez carlopmart at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 10:06:07 PDT 2015

On 03/13/2015 02:40 PM, Siwek, Jon wrote:

>> On Mar 13, 2015, at 6:46 AM, C.L. Martinez <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>   I am receiving a lot alerts like this:
>>
>>   Bro SSL::Invalid_Server_Cert. 172.16.129.8 (Unknown):3040 ->
>> 172.17.0.130 (Unknown):1610
>>
>>   which it is correct: we are using a lot of certs auto-signed in our
>> infrastructure.
>>
>>   Is it possible to disable this type of alert for an IP or a group of IP's?
>
> A script like this may do what you want:
>
> const invalid_ssl_whitelist: set[addr] = {
>      # Add IPs here
> } &redef;
>
> hook Notice::policy(n: Notice::Info)
>      {
>      if ( n$note == SSL::Invalid_Server_Cert &&
>           n$conn$id$resp_h in invalid_ssl_whitelist )
>          # Clear all actions for this notice.
>          n$actions = Notice::ActionSet();
>      }
>
> You can probably also add logic to filter only if the reason it’s invalid is due to self-signing (e.g. as opposed to expired) by inspecting n$msg.
>
> Some related docs to reference:
>
> https://www.bro.org/sphinx/frameworks/notice.html
>
> - Jon

Many thanks Jon,

  But I am doing something wrong. When I launch "bro check", I receive
the following error:

bro scripts failed.
    error in /data/config/etc/bro/policy/custom.bro, line 24: unknown
identifier SSL::Invalid_Server_Cert, at or near "SSL::Invalid_Server_Cert"

  Actually:

# Disable SSL::Invalid_Server_Cert alert for internal hosts
const invalid_ssl_whitelist: set[addr] = {
         10.19.0.12
} &redef;

hook Notice::policy(n: Notice::Info)
         {
         if ( n$note == SSL::Invalid_Server_Cert &&
                 n$conn$id$resp_h in invalid_ssl_whitelist )
                 # Clear all actions for this notice.
                 n$actions = Notice::ActionSet();
         }

# This script logs which scripts were loaded during each run.
@load misc/loaded-scripts