[Bro] SMB2 module

Danilo Nicolò dani.nicolo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 16:35:41 PDT 2015

Hi,

> > On Mar 20, 2015, at 3:08 PM, Vlad Grigorescu <vlad at grigorescu.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > Of course, the "better" solution would be to fix the system so that it
> can do reverse DNS lookups (and TXT queries for detect-MHR) :-)

At the line 35 of
/usr/local/bro/share/bro/policy/protocols/ssh/interesting-hostnames.bro
script there's the function

        lookup_addr(host)

that invoke DNS lookup, so I think definitely that the problem is in this
function.

> Another option here is to force Bro into a mode where it fakes DNS
> scripts, but you can change the behavior with an environment variable:
>
> BRO_DNS_FAKE=1 bro -r somepackets.pcap

I've tried to run bro with BRO_DNS_FAKE=1 env but unfortunately it didn't
work.
I've received the SIGSEV signal, below you can see the gdb log

0x000000000060a5d9 in SerializationFormat::WriteData (this=0x7ffff001b780,
b=b at entry=0x7fffff7ff03c, count=count at entry=2)
    at /home/danko/bro_smb/bro/src/SerializationFormat.cc:87
87 memcpy(output + output_pos, b, count);
(gdb) p output
$1 = 0x7fff51d14010 "\001"

As Vlad as suggested to me, I'm going to disable these scripts and I'll let
you know asap.

Thank you so much.

Regards,
Danilo