[Bro] Bro --> Google Safe Browsing API?

Vlad Grigorescu vlad at grigorescu.org
Wed Mar 25 06:57:19 PDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 8:22 AM, Doug Burks <doug.burks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Does the rate limiting apply to the new "API v3"?
>
> "The Safe Browsing API is an experimental API that enables
> applications to download an encrypted table for local, client-side
> lookups of URLs that you would like to check. In 2014, we published a
> new version (v3) of the Safe Browsing API, which adds features and
> efficiency improvements to the previous v2. The Safe Browsing API is
> used by several browsers, including Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
> You can start using the Safe Browsing API v3 now."
>
> https://developers.google.com/safe-browsing/

Yes, see:
https://developers.google.com/safe-browsing/developers_guide_v3#RequestFrequency

Essentially the issue is that there needs to be a piece between Bro and the
API, which is handling downloading/updating the prefixsets, and ensuring
that the request frequency is observed. It'd be interesting, but Bro
integration with v3 is a difficult task.

  --Vlad