[Bro] One-way TCP session to handle HTTP requests only

Rovnov Pavel provnov at solidex.by
Wed Mar 25 23:58:32 PDT 2015

Hello Seth,

To bubble up asymmetric traffic analysis higher in the list let me describe our scenario. We would like to analyze ~55Gb/s+ (5Gb/s upstream, 50Gb/s downstream) of web traffic (both HTTP and HTTPS). At layer 7 we need to know hostnames and perhaps URLs visited. In case we analyze upstream only we can reduce hardware requirements greatly.

What causes Bro to be asymmetric intolerant: rule, BinPac,...? What is we disable all rules and leave only rules that solve the task? Will the result be still coincidental?

Thanks for answers!

Pavel