[Bro] Bro Types Not Following Bro Types Documention

John Omernik john at omernik.com
Mon May 18 06:37:04 PDT 2015

(Mike I am putting this on list, I replied only to you)

I found https://www.bro.org/sphinx-git/logs/index.html  which is helpful in
that - represents an unset field.  I am still think from a data nerd
perspective, having a character that doesn't fit the type to represent
something is dangerous, however, I can parse the values and replace
programmatically with the information provided, so now I an continue on my
merry way. Thanks for the insight.

That all said... why put anything in a field (as a default) to represent
unset or empty? Are we at risk of evasion? Besides obviously breaking
typing, what about when the type actually accepts the unset character...
what if the user-agent is - or (empty) couldn't that cause downstream
errors?  "You can change the logs to log however you want" is likely the
answer, and correct I can, but shouldn't we try be logical in our approach
so assumptions aren't made on the default material?