[Bro] DNS behavior alerting

anthony kasza anthony.kasza at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 12:04:00 PDT 2015

For DNS tunneling detection, look for long qnames with few labels, very low
TTLs, odd qclasses and types (like null), and response rr's with high
ratios of ASCII to non ASCII bytes.

You can also look for bursty queries from a single orig_h for a single
qname (likely with many different subdomains).

Remember that both the client software issuing queries and the name server
software issuing responses need to know how to decode tunneling queries.
Check out the Iodine protocol specification for more info.

-AK