[Bro] how to merge rx and tx from different pcaps / slightly off-topic

Frank Meier franky.meier.1 at gmx.de
Thu Sep 10 00:58:45 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Mi, Sep 9, 2015 at 6:16 , Matthias Vallentin <vallentin at icir.org>
wrote:
>>  It looks like Bro not seeing the data in the correct order. But
>> from what I
>>  read in mergecap source in merge_read_packet() this should work as
>> intended:
>>  "Read the next packet, in chronological order, from the set of
>> files to be
>>  merged."
>
> You could give this a shot:
>
>     ipsumdump --collate -r *.pcap -w merged.pcap
>
> Unlike mergecap, ipsumdump does not assume packets are sorted within
> the
> trace.

thanks, this is an idea, but with my first run of mergecap I made sure,
the order is correct. (verfied with capinfos -o).
Beside from that it looks better now: Only 3300 lines of weird.log with
115000 in conn.log.

I will investigate further, if the data in the pcaps is wrong or if bro
is to blame.

Franky