[Bro] PF_Ring and Bro - packet loss

Adam Pumphrey apumphrey at ivsec.com
Fri Sep 11 12:55:56 PDT 2015

Your broctl status output shows Bro is in standalone mode and not configured to take advantage of pf_ring.  You'll need to configure a local cluster with the pf_ring specific options set for the monitoring interface/worker.   https://www.bro.org/sphinx-git/configuration/index.html#using-pf-ring <https://www.bro.org/sphinx-git/configuration/index.html#using-pf-ring>

Something like this might work in your case; notice the lb_method and lb_procs settings for the worker:

[manager]
type=manager
host=127.0.0.1

[proxy-1]
type=proxy
host=127.0.0.1

[worker-1]
type=worker
host=127.0.0.1
interface=eth0
lb_method=pf_ring
lb_procs=2

I think you need at least 2 lb_procs for pf_ring to provide any performance gain.  You can also set cpu affinity for the worker processes; this is recommended for better performance and cluster stability, but not required.  If you do be sure to specify only physical cpu/core ID’s.  I believe the general rule of thumb is to leave half of your physical cores freed up for the OS and other Bro processes.  For example:

pin_cpus=2,3		# assumes a single quad-core with core ID’s 0-3

There are a few more pf_ring specific options available in BroControl’s config file.  You can check them out here https://www.bro.org/sphinx/components/broctl/README.html#pfringclusterid <https://www.bro.org/sphinx/components/broctl/README.html#pfringclusterid>

You might want to give “broctl capstats” and the capture-loss Bro script a try also; both are really helpful with troubleshooting traffic capture issues.

-Adam