[Bro] Is it possible to export pcap for a given event / connection?

James Lay jlay at slave-tothe-box.net
Wed Sep 23 14:47:06 PDT 2015

On 2015-09-23 11:27 AM, Hosom, Stephen M wrote:
> Dirk,
>
> Bro doesn't really have a good way to export packet captures.
>
> You would be best off running something like time machine or
> stenographer (both open source packet capture projects) and then using
> Bro to export the small pcap related to the connection you want. If
> you'd like some pointers on how to do that, let me know. I've got some
> similar stuff going on in my environment.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen

We use dumpcap from wireshark from source for packet capture...example
below:

/usr/local/bin/dumpcap -q -b filesize:409600 -b files:50 -Z none -f 'ip
and port 25' -i eth2 -w /home/pcaps/mailcapture/mailtraffic.pcap

which creates 50 400 meg files and will start to overwrite after
50...works well when run on the same box as bro-ids...very easy to
correlate and pluck out what I want.

James