[Bro] Using workers without SSH possible?

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Apr 28 08:13:59 PDT 2016

Actually BroControl is already using rsync over SSH, but it needs SSH
for other stuff as well, as it runs commands on the worker nodes. The
rsync is used for transferring the Bro setup over to the workers. The
logs on the other hand are sent back via Bro's internal communication,
neither SSH nor rsync involved there.

Changing any of this remains tricky currently. However, we are planing
to switch to a different deployment model eventually where each node
maintains its Bro setup itself (so no rsync necessary anymore) and
also keeps a persistent broctld running for inter-node communication
(so no SSH executing commands anymore).

With regards of other approaches to monitor subnets, some folks run a
single-machine Bro cluster with multiple interfaces and then send each
subnet's traffic to one interface. That can work pretty well in
practice, but might not apply to your situation.

Robin

Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin