[Bro] Host Key Verification Failed

Dane Wullen brot212 at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 3 03:59:53 PDT 2016

Hello there,

I've tried to install Bro on a Ubuntu 16.04 virtual machine (VirtualBox)
with following guide:

http://knowm.org/how-to-install-bro-network-security-monitor-on-ubuntu/

After the installation, I started broctl and tryped "install", but I
reveiced an error message:

Host key verification failed.
Error: cannot create (some of the) directories
/usr/local/bro,/usr/local/bro/logs,/usr/local/bro/spool,/usr/local/bro/spool/tmp
on node bro

I want to run Bro on a single machine (so no cluster at all), I
checked the node.cfg, it looks like this:

[bro]
type=standalone
host=localhost
interface=eth0

Of course I installed a SSH Server (apt-get install openssh-server),
and successfully connected to my VM with several divices.

There was a common problem in this Mailing-List, but unfortunatly it
remaind unsolved...

http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/bro/2015-July/008697.html

I'm new to linux and bro, also, english is not my native language, so
please forgive me my faults. :)

I would be glad to hear from you guys!

Thanks alot!

brot