[Bro] Network taps for Bro

Daniel Manzo daniel.manzo at bayer.com
Wed Aug 3 11:37:03 PDT 2016

Hi all,

My team is looking into using the Bro IDS for monitoring of a science DMZ with a 10 Gbps network. I was wondering how to choose which network tap(s) is necessary for this type of connection and if you have any recommendations/methods for setting up the hardware for Bro. I have been looking at the passive Ixia Flex taps, specifically the LC 10G SM 50/50 split tap. Will single mode (SM) versus multi-mode (MM) make a difference for Bro? And does Bro require a 50/50 ratio, or would I be able to get away with a different ratio?

Thanks for the help,
Daniel Manzo