[Bro] Bro connections v. NetFlow

Alec Waters Alec.Waters at dataline.co.uk
Thu Aug 25 03:16:04 PDT 2016

We set our routers to export flows after one minute if they’re still in progress (it’ll continue to send a flow export every minute until it’s complete). More info here:

https://www.manageengine.com/products/netflow/help/cisco-netflow/cisco-ios-netflow.html (“ip flow-cache timeout active 1” is the command to use)

This means that, AFAIUI, Netflow can be made to be more timely than Bro. Bro will only output a bro_conn when the flow has been deemed to have finished.

Also, Netflow exports are unidirectional – you get separate flow exports for A->B and B->A. With Bro, a bro_conn logs traffic in both directions.

alec