[Bro] huge weird.log/conn.log

erik clark philosnef at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 08:22:09 PST 2016

Hm. It looks like this may be related to af_packet and bro2.5 in general. I
did a subset of production weird and took a subset of development weird,
sorted it out and compared the two. From the looks of things, the ratio of
items in the files take in identical number of events is pretty close to
identical.

This leads me to believe that I am just not dropping traffic either at Bro
or the interface on the dev box. Right now I have dropped only 70k packets
out of 49TiB of traffic according to ifconfig, and bro is reporting packet
loss of ~1%.

The 2.4.1 production box on the other hand is seeing 2-5% packet loss and
some packet loss at the interface. The services (http, dns, so on so forth)
on the dev box all have equal or more than the number of events on the
production box. All I can think of right now is that tuned af_packet on rh7
w/ 2.5 is so much better than tuned pf_ring on rh61 w/ 2.4.1 that it has
been noticeable.

Also, memory consumption on 2.5 is a significant fraction less than on the
production box with the same link. Wish I could say why this is, but it
really impresses me. Load is still high though at ~16, but MEH.