[Bro] broctl unable to find peers

Zeolla@GMail.com zeolla at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 11:43:57 PST 2016

I get a similar failure with broctl peerstatus when the cluster is up.  It
sits for a few minutes then kills itself.

$ time ./broctl peerstatus

Killed

real 6m48.594s

user 0m0.102s

sys 0m0.111s

I have tried adding a log line to my iptables so it will log right before
getting dropped, but after reviewing the log over a 10 minute period I
wasn't able to find anything from any members of my bro cluster getting
dropped.  While the logging was on I tried multiple ./broctl commands,
including directly hitting the server using ./broctl status worker-1-1 and
a more general ./broctl status or ./broctl peerstatus.

Jon

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 1:54 PM Daniel Thayer <dnthayer at illinois.edu> wrote:

> What happens if you run "broctl peerstatus"? (after starting
> the cluster, of course)
>

> On 12/21/16 11:18 AM, Zeolla at GMail.com wrote:
> > I'm seeing an issue using bro 2.4.1 where when I run `./broctl status`
> > it hangs on 'Getting peer status ...'.  When I run the same command
> > specifying manager, any of the proxies, or any of the individual workers
> > it has no issue.  Has anybody seen this before?
> >
> > This is a 5 node cluster (1 manager, 4 sensors) running on Ubuntu
> > 14.04.  I am in the process of upgrading to 2.5, but before I do so I'm
> > adding 2 additional sensor machines (bringing it to 7 nodes) to the
> > cluster because we sorely need the additional processing power.  After
> > the upgrade to 2.5 I will be adding another node and splitting the
> > logger function onto it, making it an 8 node cluster.
> >
> > Here's an example of me running `./broctl status` and it failing after 3
> > 1/2 minutes, then it goes on to successfully get the status for every
> > component/instance specifically, however the Peers section returns "???".
> >
> > $ time ./broctl status || time ./broctl status manager;time for proxy in
> > {1..5}; do ./broctl status proxy-${proxy}; done;for svr in {1..4}; do
> > for instance in {1..20}; do ./broctl status worker-${svr}-${instance};
> > done; done
> >
> > removing stale lock
> >
> > Getting process status ...
> >
> > Getting peer status ...
> >
> > Killed
> >

> > real3m35.233s
> >
> > user0m0.126s
> >
> > sys0m0.119s
> >
> > waiting for lock (owned by PID 22222) ...
> >
> > Getting process status ...
> >
> > Getting peer status ...
> >
> > Name         Type    Host             Status    Pid    Peers  Started
> >
> > manager      manager A.B.C.D   running   11111  ???    18 Dec 03:24:38
> >
> > <snip>
> >

> > Jon
> > --
> >
> > Jon