[Bro] AF_Packet Activation

Jan Grashöfer jan.grashoefer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 13:53:16 PST 2016

Hi Dave,

> What is the proper way to activate the AF_Packet plugin? I believe its installed and configured correctly in nodes.cfg

in general, using the af_packet:: interface prefix activates the
AF_Packet plugin.

> $ bro -N Bro::AF_Packet
> Bro::AF_Packet - Packet acquisition via AF_Packet (dynamic, version 1.0)
>

> [lan]
> type=worker
> host=192.168.20.141
> interface=af_packet::eth1
> lb_method=custom
> lb_procs=2
> #af_packet_fanout_id=11
> #af_packet_fanout_mode=FANOUT_HASH
>
> But if I uncomment the options for fanout ID and mode I receive the errors:
>
> Warning: ignoring unrecognized node config option 'af_packet_fanout_id' given for node 'lan'
> Warning: ignoring unrecognized node config option 'af_packet_fanout_mode' given for node ‘lan'

According to your bro -N output you are using the plugin in version 1.0.
The additional options have been added in version 1.1. In any case,
default values should be set automatically. If you want to set the
fanout mode manually, you need to use something like
"af_packet_fanout_mode=AF_Packet::FANOUT_HASH" (forgot the prefix in the
README, sorry).

Hope that helps,
Jan