[Bro] Info on configuring bro inline in AWS as IDS

Damian Gerow damian.gerow at shopify.com
Thu Jan 21 08:25:45 PST 2016

Because AWS doesn't provide any concept of a tap, there are really only two
ways to run an IDS in AWS:

1. Have a central Bro worker node, and on each system where you want to
examine the traffic, set up a VPN tunnel with OpenVPN to your Bro node, and
use a tool called daemonlogger to sniff traffic off the ethernet interface
and send it out over the OpenVPN interface. On the Bro worker node, you run
one Bro instance per OpenVPN interface.
2. Directly on the nodes whose traffic you want to monitor, run a Bro
worker, configured to monitor its network interface.

(I recall reading a document from Amazon about setting up the former, but
I'm unable to find it right now.)