[Bro] Hardware recommends

Gary Faulkner gfaulkner.nsm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 19:16:35 PST 2016

The Bro architecture documents still seem to suggest you can only
process 80Mb/s or so of traffic per core, but even at 2.6 - 2.7 GHz you
end up getting closer to 250-300Mb/s+. 3.1 will boost this a bit and
allow you to handle slightly larger flows per core, but you may be able
to get many more cores on a single host at 2.6 for similar or less
money. I'd just be ware of optimizing too heavily on core count and
ending up with 1.8GHz clocks. If you are doing good flow shunting up
front I think you are likely to stray into the territory of more smaller
flows which probably lends itself better to having more moderately
clocked cores than fewer slightly higher clocked cores.

Also, unless you are considering ludicrous core counts per machine you
might find you are oversubscribing your server long before you can take
advantage of 40Gbps or 100Gbps NICs over a 10Gbps NIC. I've been fairly
happy with Intel 10Gbps NICs and PF_RING DNA/ZC, but some prefer to use
Myricom to avoid dealing with third party Intel NIC drivers. Be wary of
artificial worker limits using RSS or vendor provided host based
load-balancing (Myricom comes to mind). There are cases where folks have
been stuck with not being able to take full advantage of their server
hardware without having to run additional NICs, or do other work-arounds
due to having more cores than queues/rings on the cards.

On a side note: I found out a lot of interesting things about how my
sensors were performing, as well as my upstream load-balancer by using
Justin's statsd plugin (assuming your upstream shunting doesn't throw
off the output) to send the capture-loss script output to a time series
DB and graphing it. For example I discovered a port going to an
unrelated tool was becoming oversubscribed over the lunch hour causing
back-pressure on the load-balancer that translated to every worker on my
Bro cluster reporting 25-50% loss even though Bro should have been
seeing relatively little traffic and was itself not over-subscribed. In
that case I found it is sometimes desirable to have an extra 10G NIC in
each server so that the tool, not the load-balancer gets over-subscribed
until I can add more capacity to the tool and better spread the load.