[Bro] Hardware recommends

Gary Faulkner gfaulkner.nsm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 12:35:53 PST 2016

I reached this page via Google, but the breadcrumbs show it as being
part of the 2.4.1 documentation, which I believe is considered current.

https://www.bro.org/sphinx/cluster/index.html

Under Workers section:

"The rule of thumb we have followed recently is to allocate
approximately 1 core for every 80Mbps of traffic that is being analyzed.
However, this estimate could be extremely traffic mix-specific. It has
generally worked for mixed traffic with many users and servers. For
example, if your traffic peaks around 2Gbps (combined) and you want to
handle traffic at peak load, you may want to have 26 cores available
(2048 / 80 == 25.6). If the 80Mbps estimate works for your traffic, this
could be handled by 3 physical hosts dedicated to being workers with
each one containing dual 6-core processors."