[Bro] ElasticSearch plugin

Gary Faulkner gfaulkner.nsm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 13:44:07 PDT 2016

I've actually had instances where it "appeared" that Bro couldn't
process conn events fast enough and Bro "appeared" to drop events
further down the pipleline or outright crash under certain high stress
situations. I suspected it was related to not being able to write the
conn.log events to disk fast enough as I'd see a huge spike in calls to
write the conn.log file and subsequent dips in the counters for all of
the protocol based logs. I was writing the counters from the workers to
an external stats server whenever a script called its specific write log
event, so I could see the spikes and correlate them to drops in other
areas, but I could never definitively prove that disk-IO for log writes
were the bottle-neck as opposed to some other processing task as some of
the system monitors on the master side would drop stats when it was too
busy. Ultimately I largely addressed the causes of the processing spikes
(DDOS attacks etc) upstream from Bro, but I could see the potential for
wanting to directly forward events to an external location and not write
them locally at all instead of trying to scale a single Bro master to
handle writing hundreds of thousands or more events per second to disk.

~Gary