[Bro] Renaming carved files

Michael Cochran macochran0 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 11:11:07 PST 2016

I'm not expecting there to be a filename associated with every file, but if
the filename was in the pcap, for SMTP attachments, FTP file transfers, or
HTTP sessions this shouldn't be a complicated thing to do. I'm looking at
this from a network analyst point of view in making it more efficient for
them to quickly disseminate information. Maybe the fact that there is no
filename for the extracted data makes it more/less interesting depending on
the situation. I'm not looking for bro to try to make up a filename based
on URI, but rather just get the information from the HTTP header if the
filename is present (which I think is how bro gets the filename in
files.log for HTTP sessions). In which case just ripping it out of
files.log would be the right thing to do. I guess the real question is, is
it possible to do that in bro-script? Or is it just more realistic to do
that using python/shell?