[Bro] issue with bro size

Cyrille PIATTE cyrille.piatte at telecom-bretagne.eu
Fri Mar 25 02:31:38 PDT 2016

Hello,

I am a new user of Bro and I have some questions:

I have read that in the next version of Bro, the BroKer communication system will be included in the installation.
-When is the next release of Bro ? Will Broccoli be deleted ?

When I install Bro with the option ./configure --enable-broker, my Bro directory is about 1.5Gb. Otherwise, it is about 180Mb. At the same time, the binary is about the same size (145Mb).
-Why such a difference ?

Moreover, when I use all the other --disabled options, the difference is not that important (about 200Mb).
-Is it normal ? Are there any other options that would allow us to reduce the size of the program ? We plan to use Bro on constrained devices with the BroKer library.

I have found some documentation about Broccoli security options. But I have not found any documentation regarding BroKer security options.
-Does it use also SSL ? In which communications ? Are there some differences with Broccoli concerning security ? Could we find documentation about security protocols used by BroKer communications ?

I thank you in advance for your support.

Best regards,

Cyrille Piatte