[Bro] Bro 2.4.1 documentation

Azoff, Justin S jazoff at illinois.edu
Sat Oct 1 08:18:47 PDT 2016

> On Oct 1, 2016, at 7:34 AM, John Edwards <jedwards2728 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So Bro uses Sphinx for its documentation? Sphinx is what Viper, Cuckoo sandbox and Suricata house their documentation on also that have a export as pdf option.

Correct.. the pdf export is generated via the latex output.  I can generate the Bro.tex file, but wasn't able to get pdflatex to work last night.

Trying to run pdflatex on it first gives memory errors, but doing

export extra_mem_bot=18000000

gets past that, but it has more issues:

(/usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/ts1pcr.fd)
! Dimension too large.
\fb at put@frame ...p \ifdim \dimen@ >\ht \@tempboxa
                                                  \fb at putboxa #1\fb at afterfra...
l.19029 \end{Verbatim}
?

Now that I'm not super tired, I figured out I can just type R at that prompt and it completes after that.

There's probably some table or figure that is missing from the output, but otherwise the result looks good.

I replaced http://www.ncsa.illinois.edu/People/jazoff/bro-2.4.1.pdf with this new output.  The latex -> pdf output is much nicer than the man -> pdf output.  In addition to the links working, the images are included.

It looks like it could still use some tweaks. I think the main thing is that the ToC needs to show one more sub level to break up each of the sections further.  I tried changing the index.rst to have

.. toctree::
   :maxdepth: 3

instead of 2 but that didn't seem to do anything.  The docs has a note that "The LaTeX writer only refers the maxdepth option of first toctree directive in the document." but the one in index.rst should be the first.

--
- Justin Azoff