[Bro] Quick load balancing question

Johanna Amann johanna at icir.org
Fri Oct 14 07:12:56 PDT 2016

Hi James,

> for the pf_ring I have the below:
> [worker-1]
> type=worker
> host=localhost
> interface=eth0
> lb_method=pf_ring
> lb_procs=2
> pin_cpus=0,1
>
> So my question is twofold,...does each pinned cpu get a process,

In your case - yes. Basically, processes are pinned to the CPUs that you
specify in order. If you pin 6 CPUs and have 2 processes, only the first 2
will have processes on it. If you pin 2 CPUs and have 3 processes, the
first one will have 2 and the second one one.

> and, is there a way to get load balancing using just standalone, without
> needing the logger, worker, and proxy processes?  Thank you.

No, due to the current Bro architecture, you need a cluster for load
balancing.

Johanna