[Bro] So uh...how do you know which pin_cpus to use?

Michał Purzyński michalpurzynski1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:18:42 PDT 2016

2.6 kernels on Linux enumerate HT in a different way 3.x and 4.x do

2.6

Core 0 thread 0
Core 0 thread 1

Etc

3.x

Core 0-N on CPU 0 first half of threads
Then CPU 1
Then CPU 0 second half of threads
Then CPU 1

Results for HT vs cross numa are about to be published, soon ;)
I don't like cache misses when CPU 1 is reaching for data on node 0 though. It is not about cross numa bandwidth it's the fact then you have in the worst case 67ns to process a smallest packet on 10Gbit. And L3 hit on ivy bridge is at least 15ns.
Miss is 5x that.