[Bro] Bro Blog: Contributing to the Bro Project

Dopheide, Jeannette M jdopheid at illinois.edu
Thu Oct 20 11:37:01 PDT 2016

Link to blog post: http://blog.bro.org/2016/10/contributing-to-bro-project.html

Recently we have had a number of community members ask us for suggestions for contributing back to the Bro Project. We have updated the Community page<https://www.bro.org/community/index.html#toc-top> on our website to reflect the new options available.

Custom Scripts and/or Plugins
We encourage Bro users to make their custom scripts and/or plugins available to the community by creating a package and submitting it to the Bro Package Source<https://github.com/bro/packages>. See the README file of that GitHub repo for more instructions on how to create a package and submit it. Once your package is accepted, it becomes installable via the Bro Package Manager<http://bro-package-manager.readthedocs.io/>.

Patches and New Functionality
For working on the Bro codebase itself, work from our official GitHub mirrors<https://github.com/bro> or clone the master bro.org repositories directly fromgit://git.bro.org/<repo>. See our contribution guidelines<https://www.bro.org/development/contribute.html> for more information.

Writing Documentation
We are grateful for any corrections or contributions to documentation. Send documentation to info at bro.org<mailto:info at bro.org> or submit a ticket to our issue tracker<https://tracker.bro.org/>.

Provide community support
Respond to user questions on the Mailing List<http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/bro>, Twitter<https://twitter.com/Bro_IDS>, IRC<http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomnick=1&channels=%23bro>, and Gitter<https://gitter.im/orgs/bro/rooms>.

Financial Support
Become a Bro Future Fund sponsor<https://www.bro.org/donate/sponsorship.html>, make an individual donation<https://www.bro.org/donate/index.html>, or sponsor Bro events like BroCon.

------

Jeannette M. Dopheide