[Bro] proxy and worker

Azoff, Justin S jazoff at illinois.edu
Fri Sep 9 08:44:16 PDT 2016

> On Sep 9, 2016, at 5:12 AM, XU Guo、 <478682649 at qq.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>     I have an issue about proxy and worker.Here is my cluster configuration:
>
> [manager]
> type=manager
> host=localhost
>
> [proxy-1]
> type=proxy
> host=localhost
>
> [worker-1]
> type=worker
> host=localhost
> interface=ens512f1
> lb_method=pf_ring
> lb_procs=8
> pin_cpus=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7
>
> [worker-2]
> type=worker
> host=localhost
> interface=ens512f1
> lb_method=pf_ring
> lb_procs=8
> pin_cpus=8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15
>

> [worker-3]
> type=worker
> host=localhost
> interface=ens512f1
> lb_method=pf_ring
> lb_procs=8
> pin_cpus=16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23
>

> [worker-4]
> type=worker
> host=localhost
> interface=ens512f1
> lb_method=pf_ring
> lb_procs=4
> pin_cpus=24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31

The above configuration is not valid.

> If I run all threads on single worker like this:
>
> [worker]
> type=worker
> host=localhost
> interface=ens512f1
> lb_method=pf_ring
> lb_procs=32
> pin_cpus=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,....31
>
> What's the difference between all threads on a single worker vs threads on multiple workers?

As the "procs" in the option indicates, lb_procs creates multiple processes, not threads.

The first configuration creates 4 groups of processes that will all see duplicates of the same traffic.

You want the 2nd configuration.

You also likely do not have a real 32 core system.  If that is 32 cores with hyper threading or something, you only want to run about 15 workers.

--
- Justin Azoff