[Bro] Issues with intel framework

Azoff, Justin S jazoff at illinois.edu
Fri Sep 16 12:49:04 PDT 2016

Is www.linux.com or www.linux.com:443 showing up anywhere?  It should be in at least some of the dns/http/ssl logs

> I have '@load intel' in my local.bro file, and I modified intel’s __load__.bro to include the new intel_domains.dat (as found in the original attachment). Is that all that should be necessary to load a new .dat into the intel framework?

Don't modify any of the installed scripts.  If you want to load an additional intel file use

redef Intel::read_files += {
	"/some/filename.dat"
};

in your local.bro or another script that you load from your local.bro

To avoid hardcoding the full path you can use

redef Intel::read_files += {
	fmt("%s/filename.dat", @DIR)
};

> Also, thanks for explaining the way connections are alerted on! I see value in alerting on failed outbound connections that we’re suspicious about.
> This is probably a dumb question, but should I replace $bropath/policy/frameworks/intel/seen/conn-established.bro with a conn-attempted.bro, or will it be necessary to use both if I want to be alerted on both successful and attempted connections?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> James Gordon

You'll need both.  Create a intel-conn-attempted.bro file next to your local.bro and include the code there.

--
- Justin Azoff