[Bro] Bro terminates on its own in PCAP read mode

Jeremy Gin jgin at utexas.edu
Tue Apr 4 11:23:02 PDT 2017

Thank you for explaining in-depth, Jeff.

It does seem like Bro ran out of memory, but the VM I used to run Bro had 4
GB of RAM. I tried running it with 10 GB of RAM, and initially, it does
seem to finish the process. If Bro is having such a hard time, how is this
type of failure to be avoided in real life? Is taking down a Bro server
really as simple as generating millions of conversations?

Is this just a design flaw in Bro?