[Bro] script to extract elastic search mapping from header of bro-logs

Vlad Grigorescu vladg at illinois.edu
Fri Apr 28 07:55:05 PDT 2017

ElasticSearch gets difficult, because there's a lot of context-specific
data that should be captured too, especially when it comes to indexing.
For example, I liked to index domain names with a reverse-path
tokenization on '.' as the delimeter, so that www.ncsa.illinois.edu will
show up in searches for "edu," "illinois.edu," "ncsa.illinois.edu," and
"www.ncsa.illinois.edu." Capturing this context can be very tricky, and
I don't think that it's currently available in the ASCII logs.

I'd be curious if anyone has thoughts on how to improve this.

  --Vlad