[Bro] Email Notice attempt #2

craig bowser reswob10 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 10:11:46 PDT 2017

OK, further refinement:

I've been going over the documentation for notices and raising alerts and
googling and I think I've got the right code syntax, but I still am not
getting emailed alerts.

I configured the following line in /usr/local/bro/share/bro/
base/frameworks/notice/main.bro

const mail_dest           = "reswob10 at gmail.com"                   &redef;

And here is my script:

module HTTP;

export {
  redef enum Notice::Type += {
    ## Generated if a site is detected using Basic Access Authentication
    HTTP::Basic_Auth_Server
  };
}

redef Notice::mail_dest = "reswob10 at gmail.com";

hook Notice::policy(n: Notice::Info) {
        if (n$note == HTTP::Basic_Auth_Server)
                print n$note;
                add n$actions[Notice::ACTION_EMAIL];
}

event http_header(c: connection, is_orig: bool, name: string, value: string)
  {
  if (/AUTHORIZATION/ in name && /Basic/ in value)
    {
#    local parts: string_array;

#    parts = split1(decode_base64(sub_bytes(value, 7, |value|)), /:/);

#    if (|parts| == 2)
     NOTICE([$note=HTTP::Basic_Auth_Server,
             $identifier=cat(c$id$resp_h, c$id$resp_p),
             $suppress_for=1day,
             $conn=c
             ]);
    }
  }

When I run the script against a local pcap with HTTP basic auth traffic, I
get the printed line:

root at raspberrypi:/home/pi# bro -C -r http-bro.pcap http-auth-notice.bro
HTTP::Basic_Auth_Server

But I never get the emailed alert.

I AM getting hourly Connection Summary emails so I know bro can send email
to my gmail address.  Would the alerts be included inside those emails?

Could you please provide any tips/suggestions/corrections/rebukes for what
I'm doing?  Are there other configurations I missed?  Is there a general
log for bro that can show an error if it's trying to send email but it
can't?

Thanks.

Craig L Bowser

This email is measured by size.  Bits and bytes may have settled during
transport.