[Bro] which kafka plugin to use?

Zeolla@GMail.com zeolla at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 09:25:28 PDT 2017

To clarify, the Metron project developed the kafka plugin for its own uses
and then contributed it into bro-plugins.  Recently I worked with the
initial creator of the plugin to unify all of the updates that have
happened to it over the years (in a way that complies with its LICENSE) here
<https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-sensors/bro-plugin-kafka>
.

I'm in the process of porting it to be a bro package and moving it to
https://github.com/apache/metron-bro-plugin-kafka which will be its final
resting point.  I'm currently battling through some CentOS 6 -> 7 upgrades
in Metron, and then upgrading bro to 2.5.1 (from 2.4) in Metron (and all of
the associated automation/testing), and then finally I will be publishing
the kafka plugin module and submitting a PR to
https://github.com/bro/packages.  Some very, *very* early movement towards
packaging the kafka plugin can be found here
<https://github.com/JonZeolla/metron-bro-plugin-kafka> (caution, it almost
definitely does not work - I'm trying to figure out how to handle the
librdkafka dependancy in the package, any feedback would be helpful).

I would /love/ to have this ready to go for brocon (which is my goal).

Jon

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:00 PM Erich M Nahum <nahum at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> > The original kafka plugin, hosted at https://github.com/bro/bro-plugins
> > , is now gone.
>
> D'oh, I now see it is also available in aux/plugins/kafka
>

> > When trying to build from the git tree at https://github.com/g-clef/
> > KafkaLogger,
> > I get the following build error:
> >
> > [ 33%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/Kafka-KafkaWriter.linux-
> > x86_64.dir/src/AddingJson.cc.o
> > /usr/src/KafkaLogger/src/AddingJson.cc:3:20: fatal error: config.h:
> > No such file or directory
> > compilation terminated.
> > CMakeFiles/Kafka-KafkaWriter.linux-x86_64.dir/build.make:80: recipe
> > for target 'CMakeFiles/Kafka-KafkaWriter.linux-x86_64.dir/src/
> > AddingJson.cc.o' failed
>
> Perhaps this is useful to Aaron Gee-Clough.  I forgot to mention that
> I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 running apt-get upgrade periodically.
>

> > I see there's now a Metro fork of the kafka plugin at
> >

> https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-sensors/bro-plugin-kafka
> >
> > but I am reluctant to try it based on email comments that it is beta.
> >
> > Any comments/suggestions?
>
> While I can use the version in the bro source, I guess my question still
> stands:
> what's the long-term outlook for kafka support?
>

> -Erich

Jon