[Bro] integrate FPGA\PF_RING supported NIC with Bro - offload

Johanna Amann johanna at icir.org
Thu Dec 28 08:27:23 PST 2017

Hi,

> > It still seems like speeding up the reading of network traffic to Bro
> > can get you so far, no other ways of taking some of Bro's processing
> > and offload them to a network card\ FPGA card ?
>
> There aren't any code paths in Bro that offload work into any
> specialized NICs.  It's fairly hard to find the exact right abstraction
> that would provide some benefit to Bro and still be technically
> achievable.

to add a bit to this - while there currently is no support (at all) to
offload work into specialized NICs, this actually is one of our research
projects.

Our ideas and plans have been documented in a short paper - if you are
interested you can take a look here: http://icir.org/johanna/papers/sdnfvsec17codesign.pdf

If you have any ideas of things that you think might especially benefit
from such acceleration please let me know :)

Thanks,
 Johanna