[Bro] branching Bro

erik clark philosnef at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 06:46:48 PST 2017

Stephen, Bro flat out does not run if your kernel is in fips mode. You
specifically get:

ValueError: error:060800A3: digitial envelope
routines:EVP_DigestInit_ex:disabled for fips

I brought up the cross network logging encryption issue previously. This is
very specifically an issue where you can not run Bro at all with a FIPS
compliant kernel. Getting someone to sign off on an exception not only for
Bro, but the kernel as well, is unlikely. The issue with the md5 crypto
libs in Bro causing it to simply not run with a FIPS kernel was already
brought up in the list as well, by Gary.