[Bro] Extracted files don't rotate

James Lay jlay at slave-tothe-box.net
Mon Feb 6 09:32:55 PST 2017

Hey all,

So I recently changed the way I run bro at a site.  Originally this was
run via command line, now I have the below:

[logger]
type=logger
host=localhost

[manager]
type=manager
host=localhost

[proxy-1]
type=proxy
host=localhost

[worker-1]
type=worker
host=localhost
interface=ethx

[worker-2]
type=worker
host=localhost
interface=ethx

extract_files shows up in worker-2.  Here's the extract-files script:

global ext_map: table[string] of string = {
         ["application/x-dosexec"] = "exe",
         ["application/zip"] = "zip",
         ["application/msword"] = "xls",

["application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document"]
= "docx",

["application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet"]  =
"xlsx",

["application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation"]
= "pptx"

};

event file_sniff(f: fa_file, meta: fa_metadata)
         {
         if ( f$source != "SMTP" )
                 return;

         if ( ! meta?$mime_type || meta$mime_type !in ext_map )
                 return;

         local ext = "";

         if ( meta?$mime_type )
                 ext = ext_map[meta$mime_type];

         local fname = fmt("%s-%s.%s", f$source, f$id, ext);
         Files::add_analyzer(f, Files::ANALYZER_EXTRACT,
[$extract_filename=fname]);
}

In looking, I see that the files are accumulating and not rotating out.
Anything I can do to troubleshoot this?  Thank you.

James