[Bro] Bro Blog: Software Freedom Conservancy fund drive

Dopheide, Jeannette M jdopheid at illinois.edu
Thu Feb 9 06:39:41 PST 2017

[https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CJKHQRmOhJA/VgGwoP4dcBI/AAAAAAAAADg/6UBXnHvLg2c/s200/sfc_logo.png]<https://sfconservancy.org/donate/>

In October of 2015 we announced<http://blog.bro.org/2015/10/bro-software-freedom-conservancy.html> that the Bro Project joined Software Freedom Conservancy. Conservancy is a not-for-profit organization that helps promote, improve, develop, and defend Free, Libre, and Open Source Software (FLOSS) projects. You are likely familiar with many of its member projects; including Git, BusyBox, Samba, and PyPy.

We chose to join Conservancy for several reasons: it builds community transparency and trust, provides legal protection for contributors, clarifies intellectual property, and signifies longevity for the project. They leave the technical and artistic control of the project to the contributors and community.

With the guidance of Conservancy we have formed a leadership team, applied for a trademark, and created a donation and sponsorship framework for community members to give back to the project. This may seem like stuffy paperwork but it is the real work necessary for maintaining a sustainable open-source project.

Now it is our turn to help bring the Bro Community to the aid of Conservancy. Conservancy funds its organization by taking a 10% share of donations to member projects, however that is nowhere near enough to fully fund its staff and services. They also rely on donations from people and organizations that are passionate about supporting FLOSS projects.

An anonymous donor has challenged Software Freedom Conservancy with the task of signing up 150 supporters in one week, the deadline is this Monday (February 13th).

Donate here<https://sfconservancy.org/donate/>

If you support the Bro Project, thank you. Please consider including Conservancy in the support network necessary for keeping the Bro Project running.

(Blog originally posted here<http://blog.bro.org/2017/02/software-freedom-conservancy-fund-drive.html>.)

------

Jeannette Dopheide

Training and Outreach Coordinator