[Bro] AF_PACKET on Ubuntu 16.04

Gary Faulkner gfaulkner.nsm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 16:47:51 PST 2017

I tried to follow the guide fairly closely and adapt for Bro with the
exception of BIOS level tuning (which I plan to investigate later).
rxhash is set to off. I was cpu pinning bro before, so I am continuing
to do so. Settings are below as well as a rough script I am tweaking to
load them.

For troubleshooting purposes I decided not to simplify the script with a
loop as I was running into some issues with command order (especially
with set_irq_affinity placement) as well as a couple unsupported options:

Features for eth4:

rx-checksumming: off
tx-checksumming: off
        tx-checksum-ipv4: off
        tx-checksum-ip-generic: off [fixed]
        tx-checksum-ipv6: off
        tx-checksum-fcoe-crc: off [fixed]
        tx-checksum-sctp: off [fixed]
scatter-gather: off
        tx-scatter-gather: off
        tx-scatter-gather-fraglist: off [fixed]
tcp-segmentation-offload: off
        tx-tcp-segmentation: off
        tx-tcp-ecn-segmentation: off [fixed]
        tx-tcp6-segmentation: off
udp-fragmentation-offload: off [fixed]
generic-segmentation-offload: off
generic-receive-offload: off
large-receive-offload: off
rx-vlan-offload: off
tx-vlan-offload: off
ntuple-filters: off
receive-hashing: off
highdma: on [fixed]
rx-vlan-filter: on
vlan-challenged: off [fixed]
tx-lockless: off [fixed]
netns-local: off [fixed]
tx-gso-robust: off [fixed]
tx-fcoe-segmentation: off [fixed]
tx-gre-segmentation: off [fixed]
tx-ipip-segmentation: off [fixed]
tx-sit-segmentation: off [fixed]
tx-udp_tnl-segmentation: off [fixed]
fcoe-mtu: off [fixed]
tx-nocache-copy: off
loopback: off [fixed]
rx-fcs: off [fixed]
rx-all: off [fixed]
tx-vlan-stag-hw-insert: off [fixed]
rx-vlan-stag-hw-parse: off [fixed]
rx-vlan-stag-filter: off [fixed]
l2-fwd-offload: off [fixed]
busy-poll: on [fixed]
hw-tc-offload: off [fixed]

#!/bin/bash

#Unload any existing module and load with new parameters
rmmod ixgbe
modprobe ixgbe MQ=0,0,0,0 RSS=1,1,1,1 VMDQ=0,0,0,0
InterruptThrottleRate=12500,12500,12500,12500 FCoE=0,0,0,0 LRO=0,0,0,0
vxlan_rx=0,0,0,0
sleep 1

#Disable irqbalance to stop bouncing interrupts between cores
killall irqbalance
sleep 1

#Enable interfaces in promisc mode
ip link set eth4 promisc on arp off up
ip link set eth6 promisc on arp off up
sleep 1

#Disable IPv6 on interfaces
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth4/disable_ipv6
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth6/disable_ipv6

#Enable Jumbo Frames (MTU of 9216 used on routers)
ip link set dev eth4 mtu 9216
ip link set dev eth6 mtu 9216

#Enforce a single RX queue
ethtool -L eth4 combined 1
ethtool -L eth6 combined 1

#Manage interrupts
ethtool -C eth4 adaptive-rx on rx-usecs 100
ethtool -C eth6 adaptive-rx on rx-usecs 100

#Lower the NIC ring descriptor size
ethtool -G eth4 rx 512
ethtool -G eth6 rx 512

#Disable pause frames