[Bro] Detect tor

Daniel Guerra daniel.guerra69 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 01:52:04 PST 2017

Tor can be detected by looking at the ssl certificates. Because the certificates
are generated by tor, the subject issuer or ssl_hostname can be used to detect
it.

This example matches only if subject and issuer match. I have seen tor connections
module DetectTor;

event ssl_established(c: connection ) &priority=6
        {
                if ( c$ssl?$subject && /^CN=www.[0-9a-zA-Z]+.(net|com)$/  == c$ssl$subject && c$ssl?$issuer && /^CN=www.[0-9a-zA-Z]+.(com|net)$/ == c$ssl$issuer || (c$ssl?$server_name && /^CN=www.[0-9a-zA-Z]+.(net|com)$/  == c$ssl?$server_name  )
                        {
                                add c$service["tor"];
                        }
        }