[Bro] Writing logs to both ACII and JSON

James Gordon gordonjamesr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 17:14:48 PST 2017

Looks like I was wrong about this being a 'standard' config - I fired this
script up on a new VM and it worked with no issues. I pulled my local.bro
off one of the machines I was testing with earlier and I had the SMB
analyzer enabled. I enabled SMB on the new VM, added your lines from your
last post and I have the following entries in reporter.log:

0.000000 Reporter::ERROR Path missing for SMB::MAPPING_LOG
/usr/local/bro/share/bro/test/./add-json.bro,
line 35

0.000000 Reporter::ERROR Path missing for SMB::CMD_LOG
/usr/local/bro/share/bro/test/./add-json.bro,
line 35

0.000000 Reporter::ERROR Path missing for SMB::FILES_LOG
/usr/local/bro/share/bro/test/./add-json.bro,
line 35

Any ideas on how to fix this (preferably), or hard exclude the SMB files
that cause issues?

I ran with SMB disabled for about half an hour on a *very* slow network and
everything worked as expected. Threw some test pcaps that I pulled off a
Security Onion machine and those also ran well and logged as expected.

Thanks!

James Gordon