[Bro] intel.log file stops getting generated.

fatema bannatwala fatema.bannatwala at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 08:43:38 PST 2017

I think I know what was causing the intel log not to get generated.
As suggested by Justin, I disabled the scan.bro, and the sensors looks in
pretty stable state
with 35-40% memory usage overall.

I realized (and tested) that when the following lines are enabled in
local.bro, the intel.log stops getting generated after a day or so:
@load frameworks/intel/do_expire
redef Intel::item_expiration = 1day;

And when I comment out the above lines, the intel.log doesn't have any
problem, and starts getting generated.
I have been testing it for past two days and verified, with scan.bro
disabled and sensors in pretty good state in terms of resource usage.

Hence, my hypothesis is, something is not working correctly, that is
causing the intel feeds to expire in 1day and Bro no longer
has valid intel feeds in memory to compare it with traffic and hence
causing no intel logs getting generated.

We are pulling down the feeds every day around 6:45am in morning in the bro
feed dir.
 I was thinking that if the feeds are not getting updated
(i.e if the feeds are same as they were before pulling), then it might
cause all the old feeds (longer than 1 day) to expire and hence
Bro not generating intel.log.
But I compared the old feeds with new feeds, and verified that every day
some IPs get added and some get removed.
Hence every day the feeds get modified and don't remain the same.

I will still try to troubleshoot the issue, but for time being I have
disabled the do_expire script so that intel.log file is generated.

Anyone observed this kind of issue/behavior?

Thanks,
Fatema.