[Bro] Bro IDS on CentOS 6.x

craig bowser reswob10 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 08:26:46 PDT 2017

I'm trying to install Bro on CentOS 6.9.

When I'm trying to configure I get an error complaining that gcc needs to
be version 4.8 or above.

CentOS 6.9 comes with 4.7.7 and the main repo does not have 4.8.

And you are not supposed to upgrade the 6.x working environment to 4.8.

So I followed this forum post (of many similar) to create an environment
where 4.8 is installed:

https://gist.github.com/stephenturner/e3bc5cfacc2dc67eca8b

# sudo yum install centos-release-scl
# sudo yum install devtoolset-3-toolchain
# scl enable devtoolset-3 bash

# gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.9.2 20150212 (Red Hat 4.9.2-6)

But when I run ./configure, it quits with this error:

CMake Error at cmake/RequireCXX11.cmake:40 (message):
  GCC version must be at least 4.8 for C++11 support, detected: 4.4.7
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:168 (include)

See also "/opt/bro-2.5.1/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/opt/bro-2.5.1/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".

which seems like it running in the original environment not in the scl
devtoolset-3 environment.

Besides upgrading to CentOS 7.x (because enterprise standards), any
suggestions?

Craig L Bowser

This email is measured by size.  Bits and bytes may have settled during
transport.