[Bro] Adding dns entry to bro logs

Azoff, Justin S jazoff at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 26 09:48:28 PDT 2017

> On Jul 26, 2017, at 12:37 PM, Mike Dopheide <dopheide at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> However, I'd heavily caution you against doing that every time a log writes.  For one, it's extremely expensive.  Second, the when() call spawns a separate process, so if it works at all, you'd need to somehow delay your log writes while that field populates.

Yeah this would not work that well in practice.

> Just thinking out loud, if your DHCP pool isn't too huge, you could do the lookups on some interval and just populate a table that you reference later.  Not perfect, but close.

I was thinking exactly this.  You just need some tool written in any language to output a file like

#fields ip name
10.0.0.1 boxone
10.0.0.2 otherbox
10.0.0.3 thirdbox

(with tabs and not spaces)  and then bro can load that into a table[addr] of string; and you can reference it as often as you need.

--
- Justin Azoff