[Bro] Network tap issues

Daniel Manzo daniel.manzo at bayer.com
Wed Jun 21 06:20:28 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I have Bro 2.5 configured on a RHEL 7.3 server and have a network tap question, which I know isn't totally Bro related, but I figured the Bro community would be able to advise. The tap I have is a passive fiber tap (OM3/4, 850mm, 50/50) enabled for up to 10Gb throughput. The connection in port A is coming from Level 3 internet and the connection in port B is going to a network switch. The monitor port is connected to my Bro server. The problem is that I am seeing no traffic at all coming from the monitor, and the light on the server NIC doesn't even light up. However, I am still able to access the internet from my server, despite receiving no traffic from the monitor. Basically the connection from A to B works, but the monitor is not mirroring traffic. We have tested the tap before in other areas of our network, and it was working, so I'm not sure why it is not working in this location. Any and all help is appreciated!

Thank you,
Dan Manzo