[Bro] Network tap issues

Scott Sakai ssakai at sdsc.edu
Wed Jun 21 12:20:12 PDT 2017

Hi Mark,

As others have mentioned, the connection from the output of your tap to the
capture nic needs some attention.  Unlike a switch port, both sides of the
duplex output port are outputs (light comes out).  If you plug this into a
nic with a duplex fiber, you'll blast light into the internet <-> switch
link, which is definitely not going to do you any favors.

You'll have to split the capture side of the fiber pair, and plug the
single fiber into the RX port on the.  For now, leave the other end
dangling until you decide how to aggregate the two; this is just for testing.

A reminder to never look into the end of a fiber, or into a port, even if
you think it's off or shut down.  You can do some permanent damage to your
retinas, especially with LR optics, which use an invisible laser.  Been
there, done that, still got the scarring.  These days, I use the camera on
my cell phone, which has no direct optical path to the screen, plus it
picks up near infra-red wavelengths, used in LR optics.  Not that I suggest
using this technique; the proper tool for light-path diagnostics is a light
meter.

With that in mind, do the optics in the capture nic match the optics in the
switch behind the tap?  In most cases, an SR optic won't respond to LR
light and vice-versa.  The link led will come on if the interface is up
(ifconfig up) and the RX side receives properly-coded light of sufficient
brightness.  Thus, assuming the interface is up and the light-path is
otherwise good, you might have a mismatch, or a bad optic in the capture nic.

Good luck!