[Bro] redef plugin variables

Munroe Sollog mus3 at lehigh.edu
Wed Mar 8 11:50:36 PST 2017

I am using the elasticsearch plugin with NSQ and I am trying to set the following:

redef destination = "nsq";
redef server_port = 4151;
redef nsq_topic = "bro_logs";

These statements when put in plugins/Bro_Elasticsearch/scripts/init.bro causes everything to work as
expected.  However that file gets overwritten when the plugin gets rebuilt.  I am trying to figure
out how to put these statements in my local.bro.  when I include the above in local.bro I get the
following errors:

worker-1-1 scripts failed.
error in /usr/local/bro/share/bro/site/local.bro, line 98: "redef" used but not previously defined
(destination)
internal warning in /usr/local/bro/share/bro/site/local.bro, line 98: Can't document redef of
destination, identifier lookup failed

I'm assuming I have to prepend these variables with something like "Bro::ElasticSearch" but I can't
find any docs to clarify.
--
Munroe Sollog
LTS - Senior Network Engineer